Friday, June 1, 2007

Father's Labour Lost




I chanced to meet colonel Malik few years back during a seminar. Over three days we became friends. What impressed me was his stout, enviable body structure and visible physical strength at 55. Colonel had just retired.

Col Malik told me that he had a pilot son in the Indian Navy. "You are a lucky father", I said. Every father aspires that his children achieve higher than he did. You must be feeling proud. "There will be few fathers like you", I comented.
"My wife contributed more than me. She would not sleep during the nights while he was preparing for National Defense Academy; just to make coffee for him every hour," Col told me.

"That’s great. What did you do?"

"I had planned right from his childhood that he would become a commissioned officer. I used to study his books for hours to teach him".

"Then"
"I sent him to Army School. When he asked for hundred bucks I sent him 200," Col Malik added.

"Here I differ from you. We shouldn’t give children more than what they need", I said.

"Well, there was a reason behind it. My father was a poor farmer. When I asked him for ten ruppees he gave me two. Many times I couldn’t buy books. I hated poverty. To compensate I gave my son double."

"You are retired now, Why do you stay alone in Delhi? You can join him" I said.
"Forget about that. He dislikes me" Added colonel sadly. "He comes for a month in one year. Picks up the car after breakfast and returns late night. He doesn’t give me even five minutes at a stretch," Col Malik had become emotional.

"But why" ? "You have given him the best. I don’t think a father can do more than that."

"He says I made him spendthrift by giving too much money. And I did everything for him right from opening a bank account to filling up college forms. I overprotected him…… I don’t want to be called his father. I am not dependent on anybody. Let him ignore me," this time colonel was all tears. "Whatever you do for the kids is less".

"I am happy alone. There are people without children. I have enough strength left to fight. Why should I look for shelter. I learning. That’s why I joined this course".

The lunch time was over. We were again inside the hall. I knew I wasn’t listening to the speaker.

No comments: